Sunday, June 27, 2010

Sunday morning ride to Hollywood Farmer's Market


Sunset Blvd.
A quaint little country road leading to a Farmer's market
:
For a moment forget about this as a world famous thoroughfare and the parade of celebrities that have driven back and forth in their lavish convertibles in years past and the hordes of tourists currently seeking some hint of their long gone presence instead try and imagine a quiet and peaceful country lane. You on your bicycle pedaling to the local Farmer's Mkt.to buy some locally grown produce....

Sunday morning on Sunset Blvd
This is a great time (8am) to be riding down Sunset Blvd! Traffic is light and the drivers seem very bike friendly. There is plenty of room to the right and very few parked cars so it's like you have your own bike lane.
I pretty much ride the street the whole way. I have my large basket up front and usually take a couriers bag to accommodate all my purchases.

Hollywood Farmers Mkt. Facts:

Been there for 19 years so if you haven't discovered it by now...

Located on Ivar Ave. between Sunset and Hollywood Blvds.

Open every Sunday 8am - 1pm

150 booths; fruits, veggies, (Spray, no spray and organic), flowers,

arts, crafts, clothes, street musicians, prepared food, drinks.

and of course a balloon guy.

All items are grown or made by the seller.

Website: farmersnet.com





Early Sunday morning bike traffic on Sunset Blvd.















Bike parking free - car $ 5.00
Pre -bike I used to drive around sometimes for fifteen minutes looking for a parking spot to avoid paying for parking. Note: It's only five minutes by car and only ten minutes to ride my bike to the Farmer's Mkt. Sometimes I would luck out and find free parking, sometimes I would just drive back home not wanting to pay for parking. I also had a gym membership across the street so pre-bike I would drive to the gym ( $ parking only $2.00) do my workout ( inc. stationary bike) then go across the street to the mkt. to save three bucks.


Walkers Paradise
Wearing the "hat" of writer/blogger now I got an entirely different view of being there with a bike. Walking my bike (no riding please) I observed that a Farmers Mkt. is primarily a walkers paradise. This is a safe haven free from the nasty automobile, where one can slow down and casually stroll about delicious step by step.
I sense a feeling of satisfaction amongst people of the fact that they are walking not driving.
Here the foot is king and a car with wheels would be considered more of an evil Godzilla like enemy to be quickly attacked with organic matter and subdued.
Some things being pulled along on wheels are acceptable though: carts are observed and noted by one and all as to practicality of function along with content while strollers laden with beautiful little people bring smiles, sighs and waves of admiration. This magical atmosphere of growing things and recently planted and growd' little people inspires some I'm sure, perhaps women pulling their carts full of veggies make a wish that someday they'll do some of their own growing and have more then just vegetables in their cart all the while keeping an eye out for suitable mates and growing partners. Bikes are welcome and if they are good looking you'll get some smiles and sighs to be sure but they are not nearly as welcomed I think as their smaller cousins as they look to be more related to the larger Godzillaesque car.
I enjoy wheeling my bike around and even if there was valet bike parking such as at the Santa Monica Farmer's Mkt. I think I'd still prefer my near Godzilla like stature.
Note: I checked at the volunteer booth and there are no plans for valet bike parking here,






Can't go wrong with fresh sunflower seed sprouts added to your salads!!


South Central Farms Cooperative





(Organic)








Above: The quality of the leafy green vegetables is excellent! This large basket is only $ 3.50. There are both organic and "conventional" fruits and veggies and lots of "no spray" ( not certified organic but no pesticides.) Why would anyone buy pesticide laden veggies when the healthier ones are nearly equal in price? I actually think some people are against the concept of organic costing more and stuck in that idea and so ignore the equally priced organic produce when they come across it as a matter of habit.






Below:
Plenty of free samples are happily given out from the various sellers




There were a few bikes dotting the landscape early this morning.







Spotted this gentleman getting off the bus with his bike on my way home. His name is Pedro and he likes to bus and bike to work. Says he is getting old and likes to get exersize by working up a sweat riding to work then change into his uniform there.

No comments:

Post a Comment