Sunday, June 20, 2010

I am not really a blogger but...

Much to my surprise I have just started this blog (my first) after being offered a blog while registering for the Slow Bike Movement Blog .

I got a new Globe bike several months ago and have been doing alot of riding around East Hollywood --which is not a very bike friendly city by the way. I try to ride my bike wherever practical, to the store, restaurants, bank, park, to work, to Home Depot ( more about Home Depot later) anywhere I can.

I have been watching dozens of bike videos on YouTube and have become pretty passionate about the subject of bike friendly cities and how bike riding can help your health and the environment. But more than that I really enjoy riding around on my bike! It is a very cheap and affordable form of entertainment for me and I become like a little boy again ( I'm an older dude)

I would like to see Hollywood become more bike friendly! There should be more people riding bikes every day round here!

I guess my purpose here is to encourage more bike riding in my neighborhood and making the streets safer in Hollywood for bike riders.

Hollywood is a city where the future is created through the art of filmmaking and numerous films depict a future of flying cars ( Fifth Element , Star Wars etc.)

Interesting to me is that based on current trends and plans by cities across the US and the world it looks like the flying car is not gonna be the mode of transport within cities but the bicycle will be the dominant mode of transport and I find this fact extremely fasinating and ironic

Therefore I have named my Blog; Flying Bicycles over Hollywood to reflect my idea of how the future won't be filled with flying cars over Hollywood but we'll be riding bikes down below instead.
Like I said I'm not really a blogger so this may be my first and last post we'll see...
RJ

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to blogging!
    I closed mine after two years but I still love to roam around blogland admiring everyone else's.
    I hope you find this experience as fun as I did.

    I'm new to using my bike as transportation. I ride to work, shop for groceries, run errands and of course, bike for fun.

    I think it's fantastic that you are becoming passionate about cycling and getting more people out on their bikes in your city.
    Ride On!
    from Ontario, CAN.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want it to be more bike friendly too! It's too expensive to buy gas in this city!!

    ReplyDelete